Getting Started with Literature Circles

3:23 PM

I teach third grade and most of the time students have never done literature circles. I start literature circles after the first 9 weeks (or first quarter) of school. I focus on laying a really solid foundation with our standards before starting with literature circles.

I feel it is important that we take time to introduce each job. To do this, I start all my groups with everyone in each group doing the same job. I use little readers from outdated adoptions, but you could use any shorter story. Remember, our focus is understanding the job and creating independence, so this will take 5 different 30-45 minute sessions.

I like to start with illustrator, but it doesn't really matter which job you start with. I model using a short story and then show them how to fill out the sheet. Then break the kids into groups of 5 and explain that they will be working with over the next week. They take turns reading page by page (I allow my shy readers to skip their turn, they normally warm up after the first few times) and then each fill out their own page. They can talk about it while they do it, then they turn them all in together. I do this routine each day with a different job, so after a week I have modeled each job, and they have completed each sheet. Now we are ready to dive in!

I like to structure my literature circles around what my students are interested in reading. I lay out about 5 book choices and students fill out their top three on their choice sheet. I try and make the best fit for each kid from there. When we first begin, I do literature circle twice a week and the whole class is doing them at the same time. I walk around, monitor, and answer questions. After most of the groups are done with their first book, I start incorporating literature circles during reading rotations 2-3 times a week. Most groups can handle that level of independence, but those that can't have to sit right by me so I can monitor as I work with my small groups.

There are SO many FREE things for literature circles, but if you want them all in one check out my link below. I've used all of these with my class, so they are kid tested. (Side note: somehow everything in my store is $3 and it's a total accident, but kind of neat too!)



I hope to be back later this week to share a bit about what has been going on in my life. 





You Might Also Like

0 comments